Tofu or soy cheese is an amazing product: without its own taste, it readily accepts the tastes and aromas of the products surrounding it.
To prepare tofu, soybeans are soaked in water, ground and heated to 100 C. Then a mineral coagulant is added and the mass is curdled just like cheese when adding rennet.
Depending on the further processing, different types of tofu are obtained: super-hard, hard, soft and delicate silk. They differ not only inconsistency but also in the content of calories and nutrients. The most high-calorie is hard soy cheese, and the protein content is highest in silk.
Store open tofu in the refrigerator, in a container of water, and change it every day. If necessary, tofu can be frozen for up to 3 months, but after thawing it will become a little rubber.
Due to its neutral taste, soy cheese is used in many dishes. Most tofu recipes are variations on the theme of Japanese, Chinese or Thai cuisine. But nothing prevents finding tofu worthy of use in European recipes if you treat it with due respect and understanding.
Tofu fried with vegetables
- 500-600 g of solid tofu;
- 1 bag (400 g) of a frozen mixture of vegetables (bell peppers, carrots, peas, corn);
- 1 medium bunch of green onions;
- 3 cm of fresh ginger root;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 3 tbsp. l teriyaki sauce;
- corn starch;
- olive oil;
- sesame for serving.
- Tofu cut into cubes with a side of 2 cm and put on paper towels, squeeze slightly, roll in starch.
- Peel and finely chop the ginger and garlic. Thin the white part of the green onion; cut the green part separately into 2 cm slices.
- In a wok or large deep frying pan, heat the oil with a layer of 1 cm and fry the tofu over high heat until golden brown on all sides. Take out the slotted spoon.
- Put the white part of the green onion, ginger, and garlic in the pan, fry for 30 seconds. Add frozen vegetables and fry, stirring, for 4–5 minutes.
- Return the tofu to the pan, add the green onions, pour the teriyaki, warm for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Pomegranate Smoothie with Tofu
- 500-600 ml of pomegranate juice;
- 300-400 ml of soy milk;
- 2 ice cubes;
- 30-50 g tofu;
- 1 ripe banana;
- 1-2 tbsp. l liquid honey.
- In a blender, mix 500-600 ml of quality pomegranate juice, 300-400 ml of soy milk and a couple of ice cubes.
- Add 30-50 g of silky tofu, 1 ripe banana, sliced, and 1-2 tbsp. l liquid honey. Grind until smooth. Pour over the glasses and garnish with the petals of the toasted almonds. Serve right away.
Potato Chowder with Tofu on Coconut Milk
Chowder is a hearty American soup that is most often cooked in fish stock. But if you don’t have fish or seafood at hand, you can quickly build a vegetarian version with tofu, which is not inferior in nutrition or taste.
- 500 g of potatoes;
- 1 large onion;
- 1 small head of celery;
- 600 ml of coconut milk;
- 100 g tofu;
- 4 tbsp. l olive oil;
- 2 tbsp. l flour;
- 1 tbsp. l Dijon mustard;
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce;
- 1 tsp curry powder;
- salt, freshly ground white pepper;
- cilantro for serving.
- Peel and cut into small cubes potatoes and celery. Fold the vegetables in a saucepan, pour boiling water so that the vegetables are barely covered, bring to a boil again, salt and cook over low heat under a lid until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are boiling, peel and chop the onions in small cubes. In a deep pan with a thick bottom, fry the onion in oil until golden brown.
- Sprinkle the onion with flour and fry for a couple more minutes. Pour in coconut milk, stirring constantly so that there are no lumps. Add mustard, curry, and pepper, cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour diced tofu and pour in Worcester sauce. Add vegetables. If the soup is too thick, add vegetable stock. Warm up, but do not boil! Serve sprinkled with cilantro.