Chicken salad is any salad that has chicken as its main ingredient. The traditional chicken salad consists of chicken, celery, hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, and onion.
Dunkin Donuts Chicken Salad Ingredients
The classical chicken salad contains a whole lot more ingredients which include:
- chicken breasts
- hard-boiled eggs
- lemon juice
- chili pepper
- black pepper
- sour cream
- salad dressing
- olive oil
- and cheese amongst others.
In the place of mayonnaise, salad dressing or cream cheese can be used as a binder (1).
Chicken salad is a common appetizer sold in many fast-food restaurants including some of the biggest names like Dunkin Donuts, Taco Bell, and Chick-Fil-A. Dunkin Donuts, for example, is an American all-day, every-day stop for baked goods and coffee which stands as the world’s leading baked goods and coffee chain.
Founded in 1950, the company now serves more than 3 million people every day with its numerous products. As of 2018, ten of its products were discontinued and these were:
- Chicken Salad
- Tuna Salad
- Turkey Cheddar Bacon Sandwich
- Ham and Cheddar Sandwich
- Angus Steak and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- Big N’ Toasted Breakfast Sandwich
- Strawberry Banana, and Tropical Mango Smoothies
- Mocha Unsweetened Coffee
- Flavor Shots
- some bagel
- cream cheese selection
- flatbread (2).
Dunkin Donuts’ current menu comprises different sandwich options such as Sausage, Egg & Cheese, Bacon, Egg & Cheese, Turkey Sausage Egg &Cheese, Egg & Cheese, Sourdough Breakfast Sandwich, and Wake Up Wrap (3).
Dunkin Donuts Chicken Salad Recipe
A simple chicken salad recipe consists of the following steps.
- Hurl the chicken and celery in one bowl and set aside
- In another bowl, mix mayonnaise or salad dressing, salt, pepper, boiled egg, and any other ingredient (s) of choice
- Add the second bowl’s contents into the first bowl’s which has the chicken and mix until everything is perfectly combined.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled when needed.
One cup chopped/diced chicken (140g) 335calories and its nutrient profile is shown in the table below (4).
|Nutrient||Amount (g)||DV (%)|
Chicken salad has been modified in many ways to suit different people and cultures and as such, there exists a huge number of chicken salad recipes, one differing from the next by the presence or absence of one or more ingredients.
A chicken salad like tuna fish salad and a typical egg salad can be served on lettuce, avocado, tomato, or a combination of them. It can also be used in sandwiches. Dunkin donut for example used to serve its chicken salad as a sandwich in donuts.
However, in 2013, it introduced the wraps for serving its chicken salad and its tuna fish salad (5).
Also, chicken salad can be served with tortillas chips, where the combination of bell peppers, oregano, cumin, black pepper, hot sauce, lime juice, and salt, gives the salad a distinctive taste.
Additionally, some recipes use grilled chicken for their salads, imparting more flavor and taste to the salad (6).
Furthermore, in some recipes, the chicken is fried before being chopped for use in the salad. Here all-purpose flour is used to coat the chicken before it is fried, and other vegetables like romaine lettuce and cherry tomatoes are chopped and added (7).
Chicken salad recipes with grapes also are a great way to go. Filling the salad in croissants is a cool and fancy way to eat chicken salad.
Typical ingredients to make this salad include baked/grilled chicken, mayonnaise, red grapes, chopped pecans, and green onion. Including fruits like grapes and avocados is a great way of adding vital nutrients into the recipes (8).
The use of cheese in chicken salad is also another novel way of enjoying the salad. Popular cheeses used are cheddar, pimento, and parmesan cheeses. Cheeses are excellent sources of calcium and proteins (9).
The use of sour cream is also popular in chicken salad recipes especially Mexican salad which is also called “Ensalada de Pollo). Sour cream can be used alone as a binder or used together with mayonnaise and sometimes nuts and seeds are added (10).
Another sauce usually mixed with binders for chicken salad is the Worcestershire sauce. This sauce is made from a good number of ingredients including vinegar, anchovies, chili pepper extract, tamarind extract, sugar, and salt amongst others (11).
Italian seasonings have not been left out in the chicken salad recipes. Olive oil has been used in Italian cuisine since ancient times and is also being used in the preparation of chicken salad. Other condiments such as thyme and vegetables such as basil are typical of Italian seasonings.
Moreover, Italians are traditional users of wine in their cooking and thus wine is used even in a chicken salad (12). For an Italian chicken salad, the chicken is first marinated with a preparation comprising of white wine, vinegar, chicken seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic, herb seasoning, and olive oil. Part of this mixture is also used to prepare the binder sauce for the salad (12).
While the use of onion in chicken salad dates decades back, there is now the option of powder onion. Also, the onion type may vary from red onion to white onion depending on the on those involved.
While some salad recipes will carry the traditionally chopped onions, some may go with powdered onions.
There is no standard or the specific time recommended for eating chicken salad. Since the salad is an appetizer, it can be eaten before the main meal. It can also be eaten as a snack or a slight meal for dinner.
This however depends on the recipe used to prepare it as some recipes tend to be more calorie-dense than others depending on the ingredients used. It is a very similar salad to prepare because of its versatility, so anyone can adapt it based on the ingredients they have at home.
Since the recipes vary from one chicken salad to the next, proper nutritional information should be disclosed in case of allergies. It is the family’s favorite of many homes, especially during the festive seasons like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- One thousand salads : Green, Olive, 1874-1911 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : (n.d.). Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Internet Archive website: https://archive.org/details/onethousandsala00greegoog
- Sacks, E. (2018, January 8). Dunkin’ Donuts cuts 10 items from the menu. Retrieved February 8, 2022, from TODAY website: https://www.today.com/food/dunkin-donuts-cuts-10-items-menu-t120968
- About us. (n.d.). Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Dunkindonuts.com website: https://www.dunkindonuts.com/en/about/about-us
- FoodData central. (n.d.). Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Usda.gov website: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/
- Wraps take off at Dunkin’: Dunkin’ Donuts expands menu with new Chicken Salad and Tuna Salad Wraps. (n.d.). Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Dunkin’ website: https://news.dunkindonuts.com/news/wraps-take-off-at-dunkin:-dunkin-donuts-expands-menu-with-new-chicken-salad-and-tuna-salad-wraps
- Nast, C. (2004, August 20). Grilled Chicken Salad with Corn, Peppers, and tortilla chips. Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Epicurious website: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grilled-chicken-salad-with-corn-peppers-and-tortilla-chips-10463
- Day, R. R. E. (n.d.). Fried chicken salad. Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Rachael Ray In Season website: https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/fried-chicken-salad
- Chicken Salad with Grapes. (2021, August 2). Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Kim’s Cravings website: https://www.kimscravings.com/chicken-salad-with-grapes/
- Famous LOADED Chicken Salad. (2020, August 13). Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Easy Family Recipes website: https://easyfamilyrecipes.com/loaded-chicken-salad/
- Daisy chicken salad. (n.d.). Retrieved February 8, 2022, from daisybrand.com website: https://www.daisybrand.com/recipes/daisy-chicken-salad-108/
- Cismaru, J. (2019, July 20). The best Chicken Salad. Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Jo Cooks website: https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/chicken-salad/
- (n.d.). Italian herb chicken salad. Retrieved February 8, 2022, from Mccormickforchefs.com website: https://www.mccormickforchefs.com/recipes/salads-lettuce-wraps-and-side-salads/italian-herb-chicken-salad